The Raleigh CrossFit endurance program is kicking off this Saturday, Jan. 7, with a free running clinic with Coach Will at 1000a-1100a. Anyone can participate. You do not have to be an athlete at Raleigh CrossFit or have any racing experience.
Raleigh CrossFit Program Overview
Raleigh CrossFit Endurance is an endurance sports training program focused on developing and specializing in the performance of a sport-specific athlete. The Endurance program is currently geared toward those athletes who choose to specialize in running, biking and swimming. Led by Coach Will, each athlete will be guided in their chosen sport, regarding training programming and nutritional aspects. Along with Coach Chennelle, the RCFE program will help its athletes realize their potential within their endurance sport using the most aggressive and proven training methodologies, including CrossFit Endurance, CrossFit and USA Triathlon.
Why Use the Raleigh CrossFit Endurance Programming?
This is not a running club. Raleigh CrossFit Endurance is for those who are serious about improving their endurance fitness levels, as well as their running performance and to take their multi-sport training to the next level. No experience in running is needed to participate in this program. All experience levels can become a part of the Raleigh CrossFit endurance program.
At Raleigh CrossFit, we aim to provide the most up-to-date training knowledge, leading to an efficient and effective program to realize and maximize the endurance athletes’ mental and physical abilities. Power, speed and strength are critical to the success of an endurance athlete. By incorporating specific training programming to include sports specific intervals, plyometrics, strength and power-driven movements, RCFE athletes will be prepared to take on their endurance goals. Under the guidance of USA Triathlon Certified Coach Will Guidi, the Raleigh CrossFit endurance program, will focus on eliminating unnecessary volume of training while increasing intensity.
This programming is structured, focusing on sport-specific endurance application, while seamlessly integrating Olympic lifts, powerlifting, gymnastics movements, explosive activity and mobility-based support.
Our strength and conditioning approach for endurance athletes is unparalleled. We incorporate the CrossFit fundamentals of being constantly varied. Repetition is the enemy and results in a decreased ability to build fitness.
This program works. It won’t be easy, but who wants to train easy? Success will is determined by the smart and structured training program, support of the coaching staff and your hard work, commitment and determination – not to mention peer support from your fellow Raleigh CrossFit Endurance athletes.
Our goal within this Raleigh CrossFit Endurance program is to make you a better endurance athlete from the inside out. We also have a goal as an affiliate to represent the Raleigh CrossFit community as an affiliate team at various races throughout the area and beyond. Wear your name with pride “Raleigh CrossFit Endurance Team”.
Whatever your distance goal is, this program will help you realize your potential. Even if you don’t know what your 5k running time is or if you haven’t completed a marathon, Raleigh CrossFit Endurance will provide the programming, support and encouragement to make your goals a reality.
What Does It Require?
- 6-week Program Commitment Rate: ($25 for current Raleigh CrossFit athletes) This is a one-time fee and includes 1 Raleigh CrossFit Endurance t-shirt, access to the 6 running clinic dates throughout the 6-week program, specialized training programming and nutritional advice. Once you pay for your participation, you will not have to pay again if you are a Raleigh CrossFit athlete and have a current membership.
- 6-Week Run Clinic Only (Includes Saturday Clinic participation and Sunday Fun Runs): ($85) This will grant participation in each of the 6 Saturday run clinics, Sunday fun run days with Raleigh CrossFit and one free open Raleigh CrossFit WOD/6-weeks. This option is for athletes who are not currently Raleigh CrossFit Raleigh members.
About the 6 Run Clinics
- Scheduled each Saturday during the 6-week program blocks at 1000a. Schedule subject change.
- A discussion on how to use CrossFit to make you a better runnner as well as use running to make you better at CrossFit. The class will start with an open forum discussion on what people already have been told about how to run. Coach Will will then discuss whether what is generally known is healthy to apply to running or if it can be replaced with something more efficient. Each clinic will build off of the previous one and new drills will be introduced to aid with stride efficiency and mobility each week. There will be generalized programming recommendations for distances in 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, and Marathon Plus.
- The distance category an athlete participates in will be based on the athletes’ previous running experience and their current CrossFit ability. There will be recommended times that an athlete should be able to comfortably run for a specified distance before moving into a longer distance programming category.
- The run programming will be updated once a week with three prescribed run workouts for Raleigh CrossFit Endurance Athletes. The recommended intervals may be done as a group preceding or following a specified endurance workout time. Endurance training will require a 3 hour rest time between run/bike/swim times and CrossFit workout times. Raleigh CrossFit understands that athletes have a busy schedule, so runners can choose to run the recommended intervals at their favorite running areas if that is better suited for their daily schedules.
- The endurance portion of the program will compliment the CrossFit-specific training programming that occurs on a daily basis. Therefore, the overall recommendation for intervals, as well as CrossFit workouts, will be provided.
- Below is a breakdown on distances that will be programmed in the RCF Endurance Plan along with guidelines on time goals to meet before moving into a longer distance category.
- 5K (3.1 miles): Not to be underestimated. This distance is the recommended distance for a CrossFit athlete who wants to gain an edge in CrossFit workouts that include monostructural (cardio) domains or last for a longer duration at high intensity. This program is also an option for those wishing to start an endurance program, provide maintenance between races, or to set new 5k distance race goals (competitive or non-competitive). Athletes will be able to progress accordingly as a new or experienced runner.
- 10K (6.2 miles): Before an athlete moves into this category it is recommended they have a 5k time trial of 30 minutes or less. Remember, the goal is to be the most efficient runner and to work towards improving personal times. By fulfilling the 5k training requirements, athletes will be better prepared for this longer distance.
- Half marathon (13.1 miles): Before an athlete moves into this category it is recommended that they have a 10K time trial of 60 minutes or less or a 5K time trial of 25 minutes or less. Same as the 10k distance category. Set yourself up for success by establishing a solid training base. If your goal is to run a half-marathon, let us know so that we can program accordingly.
- Marathon (26 miles): Before an athlete moves into this category it is recommended that the have a half-marathon time trial of 2 hours or less, a 10k time trial of 50 minutes or less, or a 25 minute 5k. By building up to this distance by participating in the previous training programs, you will set yourself up for success by allowing your body to adapt to this training application.
- Marathon Plus (50 miles, triathlons): Before any athlete attempts this category they must have a mobility assessment and strength assessment completed by a Raleigh CrossFit endurance coach. Any athlete working in this category should be able to complete a minimum of three Raleigh CrossFit workouts per week near prescribed, along with their run intervals. Athletes in this category should also have an understanding of nutrition requirements for long distance events. However, as part of this program, you will be guided in the nutritional demands for these longer races. A specialized nutritional plan can be provided on an individual basis and is an additional cost. To set up your personalized nutritional plan, contact Coach Will.
Specialized/Individual Endurance Program (Running Only; $65 for Raleigh CrossFit athletes)
- One-on-One Endurance Run Coaching will include:
- Personalized assessment by Coach Will, includes run form frame-by-frame video analysis, drills to fix errors in stride.
- Personalized Splits (time goals for each workout).
- Individualized programming for a specific race goal.
- Nutritional education and guidance.
- E-mail access to Coach Will.
- Multi-sport Endurance Coaching will include (Program rate dependent on initial evaluation and requirements.):
- Initial consultation. Free of charge to evaluate your endurance goals and establish a timeline for your training plan.
- The next step, would be to determine the level of programming assistance you would like to have to reach your goal.
- Programming for multi-sport athletes is based on hourly attention to personalize your racing goals. Hourly rate is $30/hour.
- Same as run package; also
- Introducing and teaching the new multi-sport athlete how to become a triathlete.
- Transition skill work (transition period from one sport to the next; e.g. swim to bike in a triathlon.)
Upcoming Raleigh CrossFit Endurance Schedule
2 running seminars (1 hour in length)
Saturday, Jan. 7 (open to everyone)
Saturday, Jan. 14 (Open to Raleigh CrossFit athletes only or those who have already signed up to participate in the Raleigh CrossFit Endurance Program.)
6-week Pose Running Clinic (1 hour in length, open only to Raleigh CrossFit Endurance Athletes)
Dates: Feb. 4, 11, 18 (off 25), March 3, 10, 17
Sunday Fun Run Days – 3 Sundays/Month
More About Coach Will
After finding CrossFit in 2009, Coach Will attended the CrossFit Endurance Seminar in March 2010 and began to learn everything he could about Pose running. Applying what had been taught and practiced and having never previously run more than ten miles consecutively, Will signed up for the Blue Ridge Marathon in April 2010. This event participation set the stage for Will’s future endurance training on a personal level as well as to fuel his interest in becoming an endurance coach.
What Drives Coach Will…Racing and CrossFit
The Blue Ridge Marathon course ascends and crosses three mountains in Virginia for a total elevation change of over 6,000 feet. After a course misdirection that shortened the race by 4 miles for a number of runners, Will crossed the finish line having completed only 22.2 miles of the full 26.2. While preparing for a July 2010 deployment to Iraq, Will completed the Mohican 50 mile Ultramarathon.with over 13,000 feet of elevation change in June 2010. Upon his return from Iraq in January 2011, Will began preparing for the June 2011 Mohican 100 mile Ultramarathon. He completed 87 miles and approximately 23,000 feet in elevation change before being withdrawn at 29 hours for pace cutoff.
While running is Coach Will’s personal physical fitness passion, he also strives to become as knowledgeable as possible about his chosen fields of Endurance and CrossFit sport training.
- CrossFit Level 1 Certified
- CrossFit Coaches Prep Course
- CrossFit Olympic Lifting Certified
- CrossFit Kettlebell Certified
- CrossFit Mobility Certified
- USAW Sports Performance Coach
- USA Triathlon Coach Certified
To learn more about the Raleigh CrossFit endurance program, contact us at 919.229.4075 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.